The Untangle Server sends emails for several reasons:
- The Quarantine facility sends users a daily digest of the spams they received.
- The Quarantine allows users to "release" emails from the quarantine.
- The Reports sends daily summary reports to administrators about Untangle Server activity.
For these functions to work correctly, Untangle must be configured correctly to be able to send email in your environment.
Outgoing Email Server
This configures how Untangle will send email.
If Send email directly is checked then Untangle will send email like a regular email server. It does this by looking up the MX DNS record of the recipient domain and sends the message via SMTP to that address. This generally works with no further configuration, however many residential and even commercial ISPs block port 25 to prevent spam and this will prevent Untangle from sending email.
If Send email using the specified SMTP Server is checked then Untangle will send email using the configured server as an SMTP relay. In order for this to work the SMTP relay must be configured to allow Untangle to relay email.
- Server Address or Hostname is the IP address or hostname of the SMTP relay.
- Server Port is the port to use to connect to the SMTP relay.
- If Use Authentication is checked then Untangle with authenticate with the SMTP relay.
- Login configures the username to use during SMTP authentication.
- Password configure the password to use during SMTP authentication.
Email from Address
This is the "from" address of all email sent from the Untangle server (excluding emails released from the quarantine).
This sends a test email from the configured Email from Address. If your email settings are correct the specified recipient should receive the test email within a few minutes.
The test email works to certain addresses but not others. Why?
If configured to send email directly, this likely means Untangle can only reach some email servers. Usually this is due to ISP blocking port 25. If configured to send email with an SMTP relay, this likely means that your SMTP relay is not configured to allow Untangle to relay to all addresses. The SMTP relay must allow untangle to relay email to all addresses.
The test email never arrives. Why?
This indicates that the email settings are not correct. When a test email is sent an email is queued to be sent using the exim mail daemon on the Untangle server. Exim is configured based upon the configured Outgoing Email Server. The exim log is viewable via the terminal (and/or SSH) in /var/log/exim4/mainlog. Usually you will see error message that explain why the email is unable to be sent.
Please be aware, that viewing logs on the Untangle server requires some linux ability, and also requires some ability to google for exim errors and read exim documentation. If you are not comfortable with these steps contact support at email@example.com for help.